Jill's chunky winter warming soup
- 1 onion finely chopped
- A mixture of veg to taste, chopped into pieces about the size of end of little finger. We used celery, pepper, sweet potato, baby sweet corn, carrot, calabrese, courgette, aubergine, green beans and peas. About a fistful of each.
- A jar of passata. We used our own roasted and puréed tomatoes.
- 2 or 3 tins coconut milk
- 2 level teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 level teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 level teaspoon turmeric
- 2 level dessert spoons vegetable stock powder.
- Olive oil
- Prepare vegetables.
- Mix spices with enough water to form a paste.
- Using a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, fry the onion over medium heat until it is translucent. Clear space in middle of pan and add spice paste. Fry for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Addpassata, then coconut milk from 2 of the tins (wash each tin out with 2/3 water and add to pan). Stir well to combine, then add vegetable stock powder and all vegetables. Bring to the boil stirring frequently and then lower to a simmer for about 30 mins, depending on whether you like your vegetables to have a little 'bite' or not.
- If it seems too tomato'ey, add the 3rd can of coconut milk.
- I have not specified adding salt, as I try not to, but you can of course add if you like.