Maria's crunchy top lemon cake
Maria’s Crunchy top lemon cake
Makes 1 x 7 inch (18cm) cake
· 6oz soft margarine
· 9oz caster sugar
· 9oz self-raising flour
· 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
· 4 sized 2 eggs
· 6 tablespoons milk
· Finely grated rind of 1.5 lemons
· 2 teaspoon of lemon curd (optional)
For the crunchy topping
· Juice of 1 lemon
· 4oz caster or granulated sugar
· Preheat oven to 180C.
· Lightly grease and base line a 7in (18cm) deep round cake tin with greased greaseproof paper.
· Whisk lemon curd, sugar and butter until light and fluffy, then add eggs one at a time.
· Add flour slowly, add lemon rind, add milk, the mixture should drop consistency.
· Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the cake has shrunk slightly from the sides of the tin and springs back when lightly pressed with a finger.
· [Check cake after 35 minutes and if it is still not cooked put foil on top and cook for a further 10 minutes].
· Whilst the cake is baking, make the crunchy topping. Measure the lemon juice and sugar into a bowl and stir until well blended.
· When the cake comes out of the oven, spread the lemon paste over the top whilst the cake is still hot.
· Leave in the tin until cold then turn out and remove the paper.