Gateau de Nancy
125g Pure Margarine (I prefer the Sunflower one)
125g 70% dark chocolate (I use Lindt)
125g coconut sugar (or brown caster sugar if you don’t mind the sugar content)
25g gluten free flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
100g ground almonds
100g 70% chocolate
4 tablespoons water
Preheat oven to 150/300 degrees
1. Cream the Pure using a handheld or electric whisk.
2. Break the chocolate into smallish pieces and melt (either in Bain Marie or microwave – I do it in the microwave – 1 minute on full power and then stir until last few ‘lumps’ disappear).
3. Add chocolate to Pure and mix well.
4. Separate eggs and add just yolks to mix.
5. Add sugar and mix well.
6. Add flour, baking powder and ground almonds.
7. Whisk egg whites until stiff and then fold into mix carefully until combined.
8. I line the base of my tin and wipe the sides with Pure.
9. Bake for 25 to 35 mins (depends on oven I have found), so check after 25 mins until skewer, inserted in middle comes out clean. Don’t overbake!
10. Whilst cake cooking, make topping. Melt chocolate and add Pure and water. You will find that the mix ‘stiffens’ a little as you add the Pure and water, but just stir or whisk hard until it is smooth and glossy. You can add more water, but do so sparingly.
As soon as cake is cooked, take out of oven and invert on to serving plate and cover immediately with topping (this helps retain its moistness). Leave to cool and enjoy.